– 18 using large scoop,
– 60 using 1 inch scoop
These “nuggets” are better than chicken nuggets and much healthier – they are scooped up by kids and adults!! Keep these on hand for an appetizer with your favorite dip. Freeze well.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Tamari Sauce (low sodium gluten free)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- Salt substitute if needed
- 2 cups whole grain rolled oats (I use gluten free)
Add all (except oats) to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Stir in the oats. Turn off heat. Cover and set aside until cool enough to handle. Firmly pack ingredients in to a 1 inch cookie scoop and place on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Flatten with the back of a wet fork. Can be patted by hand into any size. The bigger they are the longer they might need to cook.
Scoop size: 1 inch scooper – the perfect bit-size
This makes 54-60 nuggets.GREAT snacks.
Bake at 350 for 16-20 minutes on each side, take out of oven and quickly turn over, put back in oven to cook the other side another 18 – 20 minutes. Serve with sweet mustard sauce* or BBQ sauce**.
Sweet Mustard Dipped Sauce – Also Great as Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup dates or date sugar
- Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
Soak 1 cup dates in rice vinegar just to cover. When dates are soft, blend with 1/4 cup prepared mustard and 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds. Add more water or vinegar to thin if needed.
- BBQ Sauce (makes about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup molasses (Blackstrap Unsulphured if a great option)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (if you can’t find Grade C use Grade B)
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard (I use plain yellow mustard and sometimes mix with Dijon)
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes
- 1 small onion quartered
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Tamari Sauce Low Sodium Gluten Free
- 1 fresh clove garlic (or 1 heaping tsp of minced garlic packed in water)
- 1/2 tsp pepper corns or fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke or Smoked Paprika
Add all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Freezes well.
This can be used as a sauce alone or added to cooked beans (Boston baked beans) or Lentils for BBQ Lentils, added to chili….. be creative and have a delicious time!