Craving something ooey-gooey and chocolaty? Then bake up a loaf of this decadently rich, double-dosed chocolate quick bread, with melted bits of chocolate and tart and juicy red raspberries.
1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup water
2 Tbls ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
2/3 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
1/2 cup chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
2 tsp aluminum-free gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp gluten-free xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup prune paste (2 containers of Baby Prune Paste)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract
2/3 cup vegan gluten-free chocolate chips
2/3 cup fresh or frozen red raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Line a 8x4x2 1/2 inch loaf pan, or use a silicone loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and ground flaxseeds, and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine brown rice flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot, chickpea/garbanzo bean flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and sea salt, and whisk to combine.
4. Add prune paste, remaining 2/3 cup water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to flaxseed mixture, and whisk well to combine
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and whisk well to combine. Gently fold in chocolate chips and raspberries.
6. Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool slightly in the pan, and transfer to a rack to cool as desired.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature, as a breakfast sweet treat or snack, or enjoy it later in the day as a dessert topped with your favorite nondairy ice cream or sorbet. Store loaf in an airtight plastic container or zipper-lock beg at room temperature. Can be stored in freezer for 3-6 months.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Variation: If you have to avoid chocolate, replace the cocoa powder with carob powder, and the chocolate chips with carob chips. For Black Forest Bread, replace the raspberries with an equal amount of fresh or frozen cherries. For Chocolate Walnut Brownie Bread, omit the raspberries, increase the chocolate chips to 1 cup, and sprinkle 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts over the top of the portioned batter prior to baking.
You might be pleasantly surprised by how dried prunes and chocolate work together to boost the chocolaty flavor of this bread. For even more flavor, make your Prune Paste with coffee instead of water.
Author: Julieanna Hever, MS, RD, CPT & Beverly Lynn Bennett
Source: The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking
Web Page: www.idiotsguides.com
Prepared by: Barbara J Mathison: www.nutritiousway.info